Yorkville Youth Athletic Association Shooting Skills Homework
- Have your child lay on the floor on his back with his feet together.
- He should have his palms up and elbows close to his body ready to catch the ball.
- Stand near his shoulder with a 27.5 youth ball.
- Say “ready” before you drop the ball to him.
- The smaller the child, the lower the drop.
- BREATH CONTROL is very important.
- He should inhale when catching and exhale when shooting.
- Upon catching, he should get his right hand under the ball.
- He should spread his fingers.
- He should use his left hand as a guide.
- And to keep the ball from rolling off his hand 🙂
- Use your hands over your child as a target.
- Have your child shoot up to your hands.
- As he gets better, raise the target-your hands.
- BASKETBALL WAVE: (see below)
- Spread fingers and flick the wrist to roll the ball of the fingers.
- *Dad: Catch the ball!
- Say “ready” and repeat 4 times.
- Start again with the child’s left hand.
- Start again with the child chest passing to your hand.
- 5 times each hand.
- That’s one set.
- Do four sets.
- 20 times each hand and 20 chest passes!
- BASKETBALL WAVE
- Spread fingers, flex hand forward from wrist.
- Always have a target.
- Hit it your target.
*Yes, moms and little girls can do this work out!
**This is a distillation of a more comprehensive workout which includes fitness and conditioning. Feel free to contact me about basketball training, fitness and/or this workout.
You can get a copy to print here: Shooting Skills Homework