V Cuts – Box to the Elbow
You might think that V Cuts are not a beginner skill but when you consider the benefits of running this drill, and teaching all the basketball skills it includes, you may change your mind!
V Cuts – Box to the Elbow Teaches:
Footwork – Cutting, more specifically, changing direction quickly
Posting – Getting to a spot on the floor and receiving an entry pass
Timing – When to cut (in this case, on the rebound)
Dribbling – Power Dribble* into a jump shot
Shooting – Mid range shots – square up and breathe out every shot
Rebounding – The shooter rebounds or retrieves the ball after the shot
Passing – The shooter throws an Outlet Pass (Overhead Pass)
V Cuts – Box to the Elbow assumptions are:
You want your players to learn how to cut, catch and shoot mid range shots properly
V Cut – Box to Elbow
- Players line up on the baseline below the box.
- A player steps up between the baseline and the box.
- The player cuts to a cone midway between the box and the wing and then to the elbow.
- The player should post (come to a complete stop) giving the coach/passer a target
- The player catches the pass and Power Dribbles into a mid range jump shot
- The shooter rebounds or retrieves the ball, pivots and quickly throws an outlet pass to the coach
- The shooter then goes to the of end the line
- The next player begins his/her cut when the ball is rebounded
- Start the drill with players cutting to their right
- After several shot rotations, vary the type of entry pass
- After several rotations, have the players cut left
- Make sure players power dribble with the outside hand
- Make sure players “Up & Down” on their shots (don’t drift, don’t fall away or lean forward)
- Make sure players follow through on their shots
- Make sure players finish their footwork before they rebound.
- Players should get to the rebound before it hits the ground (if possible)
- Players should throw quick and accurate outlet passes
*Power Dribble – Hard dribble accompanied by a short step that explodes into a jump shot
You can get a copy to print here: V Cut – Box to Elbow