5 minutes – 5 questions. Sharpen you knowledge weekly. You don’t have to be a referee to answer these questions.
- The score is Team A 80 and Team B 79 when the horn sounds to end the 4th quarter. Prior to the referee’s approval of the final score, the coach of Team A uses inappropriate language and directs and obscene gesture towards the officials. A technical foul is charged and the result of the free throws will determine the winner or whether overtime is required. Is the referee correct. YES or NO
- Team A substitute No. 13 enters and plays the second quarter. At halftime, the official scorekeeper notices No. 13 is not in the score book and informs the officials. The 3rd quarter will start with a technical foul and possession to Team B. Is the referee correct. YES or NO
- A1 is fouled by B1 just after the ball leaves the referee’s hand(s) on the jump to start overtime. Both teams are in the bonus. Possession is set towards the opponents basket when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower. Is the referee correct. YES or NO
- A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 comes down several feet in front of the basket. The ball strikes the floor without touching any player and bounces into the basket. Two points are counted for A1. Is the referee correct. YES or NO
- A technical foul by B1 occurs during the dead ball before the second quarter. The referee starts the second quarter by administering the free throws. The free throws are followed by a throw-in opposite the table at the division line. The alternate possession arrow is reversed. Is the referee correct. YES or NO
- YES 5-6-2 x 4; 10-4-1c
- NO 3-2-2b; 10-1-2b
- YES 4-41-2, 4, 5
- NO 6-4-5; 8-5-2
Read the appropriate sections in the rule and case book if you answered any question incorrectly.
Extra Credit: Keep track of your score and your average.
William Modeste, NYSUBOA Interpreter
Jim Paull, IAABO Board 42 Interpreter