5 minutes – 5 questions. Sharpen you knowledge weekly. You don’t have to be a referee to answer these questions.
- A supporter for Team A, seated behind Team A’s bench in a team shirt, repeatedly makes remarks inciting the players to inappropriate behavior. The official advises Team A’s coach that s/he will penalize the team if the supporter interferes with game administration. Is the official correct?
- A6 legally reports to the table to enter the game. Prior to A1’s first of two free throw attempts, it is discovered B1 is bleeding. The official requests a substitute for B1. The official allows B6 and A6 to enter the game. Is the official correct?
- A1 throws the ball from the backcourt and hits the official who is in frontcourt. The ball rebounds to the backcourt and is recovered by A2. The official lets play continue. Is the official correct?
- A1 is behind the three point line and throws a pass to A2 who is cutting toward the basket. The ball bounces off A2 who is in the 2 point area and goes through A’s basket. The referee makes no signal and allows play to continue. The score keeper credits Team A with 3 points. At the next dead ball, Team B objects to the score. The referee allows the score to stand. Is the referee correct?
- B1 enters the lane early while A1 is attempting a free throw. However, A1’s free throw does not enter the basket or hit the rim. No free throw follows the attempt. Play resumes with an alternate possession throw in at a designated spot outside the end line. Is the referee correct?
- YES Comment-Control of supports/followers/fans should rest with tournament administration.
- YES 3-3-1C ex
- NO 9-9-2
- NO 2-11
- YES 6-4-3
Read the appropriate sections in the rule and case book if you answered any question incorrectly.
Extra Credit: Keep track of your score and your average.
William Modeste, NYSUBOA Interpreter
Jim Paull, IAABO Board 42 Interpreter