Dedication to this workout will make you a much better than average basketball player because you will be a better shooter with both hands, have more core strength and greater endurance than your teammates. Start now and you will be in peak condition for tryouts in October. During the season, continue this workout as conditioning and to maintain shooting form. This is a tough workout with no “buddy” system. There is no chatting between sets and no one spotting weights. This workout requires discipline and self motivation. When you get to 10 weeks you will be ready for tryouts.
Always warm up before you begin.
Stretch when you are finished.
Time your sessions: you will get faster as you get fitter.
Always use good form in every exercise.
Keep an exercise log in a composition notebook.
Make Varsity in Ten Weeks: Part One – Shooting and Conditioning
- Holding a basketball in a shooting position, elbows close to the body, lay on your back on the floor with your feet together.
- Pick a target in space about 5-7’ up.
- Start with and keep your elbows close to your body.
- Shoot straight up through the shoulder.
- Breathe out as you shoot.
- Keep your fingers spread.
- Don’t let the ball touch your palm.
- Flick your wrist and roll the ball off your fingertips to create good “rotation”.
- Hit your “target” every time.
- The ball should go straight up and come straight down every time.
- Your off-hand is your guide hand. Keep it relaxed but straight.
- 10 times right hand.
- 10 times left hand.
- 10 times two-handed pass from just under your chin.
- Pass equally with both hands: Balance is important.
- Put the ball down and do 10 reps of each of the following:
- Spidermans (mountain climbers)
- Toe raises
- Lunges (step back)
- Burpees (squat thrust)
- Jumping jacks
- Knee ups (jump up bringing knees to chest)
Do each exercise without stopping to rest in between.
You have just completed one Super-set.
Repeat the Super-set from the beginning.
Do 4 Super-sets.
Do this every other day for 4 weeks.
After 4 weeks, add 1 Super-set every other day every week until you are doing 10 Super-sets.
In 10 weeks you will be doing 100 reps of every exercise. After 10 weeks:
Shoot higher, if space permits.
Do everything faster but always in good form throughout.
Make Varsity in Ten Weeks: Part One – Shooting and Conditioning is homework! It is practice and conditioning at home. It is ok to take a day off but don’t take too many and stick to the schedule. It will take 4 weeks before you become used to the workout and begin to see development. EXTRA CREDIT: On homework days you should run once around the block. You can run before the workout, after the workout, or better, run in the morning and workout later in the day/evening. After 4 weeks add another “lap” each week until you get to 4 laps around the block or track. Time yourself. Record your times in your log. After 10 weeks, once a week complete the 4 laps as fast as you can. Jog the other two days.
Class work is skills practice on court. Class work consists primarily of mid-range shooting, power dribbling and footwork (that’s in another post). That’s what you do on the days you are not working on your conditioning.