We want a lot from Basketball referees. We want them to be right and we want them to be wrong. We want them to be fair. We want them to know the rules and be in good shape. We want them to be in control when we are involved in activities we are passionate about and lose control. Okay. We can do that.
Let’s work on the rules with New York Basketball’s 5 In 5: 5 Questions In 5 Minutes. We are going to post 5 questions every day until the IAABO Refresher Test on November 3, 2016. Get a copy of the 2016-17 IAABO Handbook H.S. Edition. Or you can use your referee buddie’s copy from last year. There are minor rule changes from year to year, but you can learn those from going to the NFHS Rule Change 2016-17. You can pass the test it you average 85% correct. Keep track of your scores.
Not a referee? Go to the NYSUBOA site and consider SNAP.
- A-1 passes the ball toward a teammate but the ball hits an official. A-1 recovers the ball and starts a dribble. The official rules this legal play. Is the official correct?
- As the official tosses the ball for a jump ball, A-1 and B-1 simultaneously tap the ball out of bounds. The timer started the clock. The official instructs the timer to put 8 minutes back on the clock and has the two involved players re-jump. Is the official correct?
- With 3/10’s of a second on the game clock and team B leading by 2 points, team A has the ball for a throw in. A-1 passes the ball to A-2, who is fouled while tapping the ball toward his/her basket. The ball is in flight when time expires and passes through the goal. The official counts the basket and awards A-2 one free throw. Is the official correct?
- To start the overtime period the official permits the teams to go in the wrong direction. Team A scores off the jump ball. The officials now recognize the mistake. After a brief discussion the officials start the overtime over again. Were the officials correct?
- Following a score by team A and before the ball is at the disposal of team B, a double technical foul is committed. The official uses the alternating possession procedure to resume play. Is the official correct?
- No 4-15-1, 4-15-4a, 4-4-4, 9-5
- No 5-9-2
- Yes 4-11-1, 4-41-5&6, 5-2-5
- No 4-5-4
- No 4-36-2b