The Black Caucus of IAABO. originated at the Fall Convention of IAABO that took place in Atlanta, Georgia in 1987. In Jimm Paull’s room at the Colony Square Hotel were Jimm Paull (Bd #42), Buddy Keaton, and Ken Jordan (Bd #37) from New York City, Henry Hailstock and Willie L.A. Jones (Bd#12) from the Washington D.C. area, Dr. Kenneth Walker (Bd # 84) from Rhode Island area and Past President of IAABO, Danny Doss (Bd #225) from Virginia.
Tag Archives: IAABO
- A supporter for Team A, seated behind Team A’s bench in a team shirt, repeatedly makes remarks inciting the players to inappropriate behavior. The official advises Team A’s coach that s/he will penalize the team if the supporter interferes with game administration. Is the official correct?
- A6 legally reports to the table to enter the game. Prior to A1’s first of two free throw attempts, it is discovered B1 is bleeding. The official requests a substitute for B1. The official allows B6 and A6 to enter the game. Is the official correct?
- A1 throws the ball from the backcourt and hits the official who is in frontcourt. The ball rebounds to the backcourt and is recovered by A2. The official lets play continue. Is the official correct?
- A1 is behind the three point line and throws a pass to A2 who is cutting toward the basket. The ball bounces off A2 who is in the 2 point area and goes through A’s basket. The referee makes no signal and allows play to continue. The score keeper credits Team A with 3 points. At the next dead ball, Team B objects to the score. The referee allows the score to stand. Is the referee correct?
- B1 enters the lane early while A1 is attempting a free throw. However, A1’s free throw does not enter the basket or hit the rim. No free throw follows the attempt. Play resumes with an alternate possession throw in at a designated spot outside the end line. Is the referee correct?
- Yes 2-8-1 See note
- Yes 3-3-1C ex
- No 9-9-2
- No 2-11
- Yes 6-4-3
I officiated a kids game at state park facility where a fan was out of control even though there were state police in the gym. The fan was sitting several rows behind the scorer’s table, had a rude comment for just about every play, so it was difficult to tell who he was for or against. Late in the game I called a foul and as the fouling player walked passed me he made an inappropriate remark. I was shocked that a kid so young would use such language. He had said it low and in passing so I don’t believe anyone else heard what he said. I initially hesitated but then loudly and clearly blew my whistle and called a technical foul. As I walked to the reporting area, the fan was losing it again. As I reported, I realized the fan looked enough like the player to be a relative, perhaps enough to be his father.
- A1 fouls B1. As ofﬁcials are walking to the free throw line, B2 is charged with a technical foul. After all the free throws, ofﬁcial awards the ball to team A at the division line. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- While the ball is in ﬂight on a try for goal, the ofﬁcial inadvertently sounds the whistle. The ball enters the basket. The ofﬁcial disallows the basket, ruling the ball became dead when the whistle sounded. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- B1 commits his/her ﬁfth foul and A1 is awarded two free throws. Prior to B1 being replaced, A6 and A7 report to enter the game. The ofﬁcial allows A6 and A7 to enter the game. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Following the warning horn to resume play during a timeout, A6 reports to the scorer to enter the game. The ofﬁcial beckons A6 into the game. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Thrower-in A1 reaches the ball through the boundary line. B1 fouls A1, the ofﬁcial rules this an intentional foul. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Yes 4-19-9; 10-6
- No 6-7-5 Exception a
- Yes 3-3-1c
- No 3-3-1a
- Yes 9-2-10 Penalties 4
NOTE: We’ve covered some of this already. In some instances, it’s the same question asked from the other side. You’ve got approximately 30 days to the IAABO certification or refresher exam. You’re in great shape if you’ve been doing 5 In 5 Daily. If you haven’t, click the link below and review the previous tests.
NYB on Facebook – Like My Page!
- During a throw-in with 0:00.3 of a second on the game clock, A2 catches the ball and attempts a try for goal. The try is successful. The ofﬁcial counts the basket. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Team A is granted a 60 second timeout. After 20 seconds Team A wants to resume play. Ofﬁcial rules that Team B must break the huddle and resume play immediately. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Airborne shooter A1 fouls B1. The try is successful. The ofﬁcial charges A1 with a player control foul and disallows the basket. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Following a successful ﬁeld goal, team B has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in when A1 fouls B2 near the end line, prior to the bonus. Ofﬁcial allows team B to move along the end line. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- While A1’s pass is in ﬂight towards A2, A1 fouls B1. Team B is in the bonus. The ofﬁcial awards B1 a one and one. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- No 5-2-5
- No 5-11-2
- Yes 4-19-6; 5-1-2
- Yes 7-5-7b
- N0 4-12-2b 4-19-7; 10-6 Penalties 1b
NOTE: Every baller wants to be on the floor for Crunch Time; the last 4 minutes of a close game. That’s also the critical part of the game for a referee. Hopefully you haven’t kicked any calls during the game. At the 4 minute mark make sure everyone is on the same page. A wrong call now can ruin a great game. Don’t let it happen to you!
NYB on Facebook – Like My Page!
- A1 throw-in goes directly out of bounds, without being touched inbounds. The ofﬁcial rules this a throw-in violation. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Prior to the start of the game, Team B is charged with a technical foul. A6 replaces A-1 the designated starter to attempt the free throws. Ofﬁcial allows A6 to enter the game. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- The scorer fails to record a free throw to team A in the ﬁrst quarter. At halftime the mistake is recognized. Ofﬁcial rules the mistake cannot be corrected because the time frame has expired. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Prior to airborne shooter A-1 returning to the ﬂoor, A1 is fouled. Ofﬁcial rules A1 was fouled in the act of shooting. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- A1 commits his/her ﬁfth foul and is disqualiﬁed. Prior to team A replacing A1, Team A requests a timeout. Ofﬁcial grants the request. Is the ofﬁcial correct?
- Yes 9-2-2
- Yes 10-1-2a, 3-2-2a
- No 2-11-11
- Yes 4-1-2
- No 5-8-3b